Industry research specialist CoreData, in conjunction with , hosted the third annual SMSF Service Provider Awards in Sydney in September, recognising the best market participants as determined by SMSF trustees and members.
Excellence in the sector was acknowledged across 11 categories of member services, amid a challenging environment of shifting trustee behaviours, CoreData principal Andrew Inwood said on the night.
He said it was vital for service providers to be able to have conversations with SMSF trustees about running their fund, but also be able to act on their behalf, rather than facilitating any requests.
Inwood said the big problem with SMSFs was finding professional advice.
“That’s the big driver of decision-making at the moment and it’s the thing which is going to keep people in the market and continue to make it grow because [running an SMSF] is hard,” he said.
The 2015 SMSF member category winners were:
• Australian shares – CommSec
• International shares – Platinum
• Fixed income – FIIG
• Administration – Your Super Accountant
• Commercial property – Charter Hall
• Residential property loans – Westpac
• Investment platforms – Colonial FirstChoice
• Cash and term deposits – Macquarie
• Insurance – OnePath
• Audit – Superannuation Audit Services
• Exchange-traded funds – iShares
• Listed investment companies – Argo Investments
• Trust deeds – Cleardocs